Rabbi Daniel Siegel- Director
Rabbi Daniel Siegel is the Director of Spiritual Resources for ALEPH: Alliance for Jewish Renewal. In 1974, he was the first person to receive semicha/rabbinic ordination from Rabbi Zalman Schachter-Shalomi as rabbi and colleague. In 2003, he received an additional level of ordination as a Dayan/Adjucator. He has a BA from Rutgers University and an MA from Temple University. Reb Daniel served two college campuses – the University of British Columbia and Dartmouth College – for a total of more than twenty years.
Together with his wife and partner, Hanna Tiferet, he co-founded Or Shalom in Vancouver, BC, a vibrant renewal synagogue which is grounded in traditional Jewish observance. Concurrently with his work at Dartmouth College, he served as the rabbi for the Upper Valley Jewish Community in Hanover, NH. Rabbi Siegel is a certified mediator who co-founded a successful mediation program at Dartmouth College. He teaches conflict resolution and is skilled in helping individuals and communities resolve conflict. Together again with his wife and partner, Hanna Tiferet, he served as co-spiritual leader of B’nai Or, Boston from 1998-2005. He also has taught Bible and Jewish Thought to teen-agers at Boston’s New Jewish High School.
Rabbi Siegel served as the placement director for the Reconstructionist Movement for three years and is now a member of OHALAH, the Association of Rabbis, Cantors, and Rabbinic Pastors for the Renewal of Judaism.
He now also serves as Associate Dean of the ALEPH Ordination Programs and as a senior teacher of Jewish Law and Practice.
Reb Daniel is the editor of ALEPH’s Siddur Kol Koreh project and numerous teachings of Reb Zalman Schachter-Shalomi, as well as the author of several articles including “Moon: White Sliver of Shechinah’s Return,” an essay on covenantal naming ceremonies for girls.
His deep connection to Jewish texts and many years of working with Jews of all ages and varieties of practice make him especially sensitive to people’s spiritual needs. And he is the father of three sons and grandfather to two little girls. He currently lives on Hornby Island, British Columbia, where he serves as vice-president of the Hornby Island Residents and Ratepayers Association, and has served as past chair of the Hornby Island Community Economic Enhancement Corporation, tends a garden, and cuts his own winter wood.
More information on Rabbi Daniel Siegel www.rabbidanielsiegel.com
Reb Sherril Gilbert – Executive Director
- Ordained through the ALEPH seminary as Mashpiah Ruchanit/Spiritual Director and Rabbinic Chaplain
- Rabbinic ordination candidate at Mesifta Adas Wolkowisk, Queens, NY (June 2017)
- Currently: Rabbi Educator at Congregation Dorshei Emet, Montreal’s Reconstructionist Congregation
Spiritual leader and founder (2012-2016) of B’nai Or Montreal Community Shul, a Renewal congregation
- Founder and spiritual leader of Congregation Mishkan HaLev in Newfoundland and Labrador, a Renewal community
- 21 years of religious and spiritual community leadership experience
- Graduate of the Davennen Leadership Training Institute (DLTI 2002)
- Member and former Co-Vice President of the Rabbinic Pastor Association, a branch of OHALAH (a trans-denominational association of rabbis, cantors and students)
- Member of Spiritual Directors International, Montreal Board of Rabbis, Christian Jewish Dialogue of Montreal
- Graduate degree in Human Systems Intervention; social scientist with 30+ years experience as an adult educator, facilitator, trainer, and consultant to congregations, communities and organizations
- Lecturer and Content Specialist in Special Care Counseling, Champlain College (St. Lambert, Quebec)
Contact Reb Sherril at: email@example.com